AS / A-Level Drama and Theatre Studies
Drama and Theatre A-Level offers you the opportunity to explore drama as a practical art form, you will explore how in ideas and meaning are communicated to an audience through choices of form, style and convention.
You will have the chance to:
- Create, perform and respond to drama and theatre
- Develop the creativity and independence to become effective theatre makers
- Explore the relationship between theory and practice in a range of theatrical styles and periods and historical, social and cultural contexts
- Learn how relevant research, independent thought and analysis of live theatre production can inform decision making in their practical work and put this understanding into practice
- Experience the ways in which theatre makers collaborate to create theatre
Component 1 - Drama and Theatre
- Set Texts
- Live theatre production
Component 2 - Creating Original Drama
- Produce an individual Working notebook documenting the devising process
- Contribute to a final devised, group performance.
Component 3 - Making Theatre
- Practical exploration and interpretation of three extracts each taken from a different play
- You will learn how to apply methodologies of a practitioner to different texts.
For the practical components, you can choose to work as performers, designers (design students may choose lighting, sound, set, costume or puppets) or directors.
After successfully completing this course you could go on to further study university or drama school. The course could also help you gain employment in the performing arts industry.